I found this gluten free Nutella Coconut Macarons that will be the perfect recipe for winter and for those of us who wants to indulge a little. It is not only gluten free but it is also lactose free and suitable for vegetarian too.
Ingredients (Macarons Shell)
- 100g powdered sugar
- 50g almond flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 2 large egg white, room temp.
- 65g granulated sugar
- Nutella (or other hazelnut spread)
- Shredded coconut, toasted
- Prepare 2 baking sheets with silpats and a pastry bag with a round tip.
- Use a food processor to pulse together the powdered sugar, almond flour and cocoa powder. Let it run for about 30 seconds to mix it all together and break down any clumps.
- In a stand mixer, use the whisk to beat your egg whites. When they are foamy and start to hold their shape, slowly add the sugar while the whisk is still going. Continue beating for about 2 minutes more until the mix is firm and stiff. This is your meringue.
- In 2 batches, fold your dry mix into the meringue. As soon as everything is incorporated, stop folding and pour the batter into your prepared pastry bag. Pipe onto the silpats, making each macaron about 1 inch wide. When done piping, pick up and drop the baking sheets onto your counter until the tops of your macarons are smooth (this may take a bit of time if you are getting bubbles coming to the surface).
- Let the macarons sit on your counter for 45-60 minutes, or until you can touch them with your finger and the batter doesn’t stick to you. (Remember to preheat the oven to 350 about 10 minutes before baking). Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from silpat.