With spring arriving in Australia, most of us are trying to get into shape and to get ready for summer. Protein balls have been a recent hit and more and more stores are selling these amazing protein balls. If you would like to make some, I found a recipe on Yummly that seems easy to make and healthy. Of course it has coconut to it and best of all, it is gluten-free, nut-free and vegan!
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Place 1 cup of shredded coconut in a food processor along with the coconut oil. Process on high speed, scraping down the sides periodically, until it reaches a paste-like consistency. (It does not have to be completely smooth like butter; some coconut texture is good.)
- Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt and process until well combined. Add 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut and pulse until just combined.
- Shape the mixture into 12 (1-inch) balls and coat with the remaining shredded coconut. Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature before eating.
After you have tried it let me know what do you think!