With winter in full swing now in Australia, I’d love to share some recipes that would be perfect to warm oneself up. Curry is my all time favourite and you can make either vegetarian or non-vegetarian option with it. The other perk of cooking curry is that you can use coconut milk. Yes, I love coconut!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced small
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- salt to taste
Note: In cases where you cannot find all the ingredients, your local supermarkets such as Coles and Woolworths or even your local oriental stores would have pre-packed curry paste. You would still need however onion, garlic, tomato, cilantro and coconut milk.
- Add oil to a large pan, on medium heat. When oil is hot add onion and garlic and sauté.
- Add cumin, masala and curry powder and mix well.
- Place chicken in the pan and season with salt. Mix together with all spices and brown on both side for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, water, coconut milk and adjust salt to taste.
- Mix all ingredients and cover pan, simmer on low until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and more water if neccesary and simmer, covered an additional 5-10 minutes.
If you are a vegetarian, you can replace the chicken with other ingredients such as okra and eggplants. Please check labelling for traces of gluten or lactose in all the ingredients used.